February Blues in January

This morning was it.  I knew it would happen, as it does every winter.  I awoke feeling completely uninspired and wanting to do nothing more than cocoon myself in my room and not move.  This feeling comes every year, but usually I can make it through January before it hits me.  I do not do well without fresh air and sunshine - something that is difficult to get much of at this time of year when it is still dark at both ends of the workday.  

Despite the inclination to hide under my covers I knew that was not the cure. I knew that I had to get out for a walk today no matter how brief. I knew too that I had to find some way to be in the present moment instead of thinking of things that need doing, planning or looking after.  

After a very busy few months I had hit my wall.

Thankfully the weather cooperated with me and the sun was shining as I set out.  A brisk north wind made it chillier than the thermometer read, but the sun on my back was warm.  I threw caution to the wind and went through the trails though the tape warned me not too.  Seems like not too many people (or dogs) were heeding the warning judging by the footprints and paw prints on the path.  The freshly fallen snow gave a bit of a grip over what must be 2" thick ice underneath.  A product of the brief thaw a week ago.

Trail closed due to unsafe conditions.

Thick ice under the snow

With the trail so icy.  I had to concentrate on walking without falling which worked well to keep me from thinking of much else.  Much like holding a pose in yoga, the concentrated effort kept my mind from wandering from one thing to another.   By the time I got back from my walk I felt much better. 

Still looking for something to do that would be therapeutic as well as productive I settled on polishing the silver (no weeds to pull at this time of year).  Sitting at the sunny kitchen table with cup of tea,  a view of the birds at the feeder, and the narrative from the movie my daughter was watching in the background,  I set to polishing some pieces of my grandmother's silver.  I thought about the many tea parties or dinners where she might have used these pieces.  About the history they hold within them.  And I wonder if someday one of my children (or grandchildren perhaps) will think of me while polishing the same pieces.  I hope so.

Tulips were a much needed bit of colour 

And this is how I cured my blues today.  Tomorrow may call for a trip to the nursery to visit the tropical plants.

Comments

Popular Posts