OH Poop! an Opossum Ate My Cabbage

This growing season was my experiment year for a few things. I planted brussels sprouts, cabbage and cauliflower. Three things I have never grown before. The fate of a couple of them is still in the balance while the other is a goner. The brussels sprouts seem to have been killed by holidaying mom and kid induced drought (see next blog) while the cabbage was eaten by an Opossum.

I had two beautiful cabbage heads. I was so proud and amazed by the way they just kept forming their lovely round cabbage heads with no assistance from me. I could taste the coleslaw every time I looked at them. Then came the Opossum. I really don’t like these creatures much. I have seen them around before. They are kind of creepy (to me anyway, lots of people might just love the opossum for all I know!). Well he (or she) sure liked my cabbage. In one night he ate half of both of my cabbage heads. And to add insult to injury he left me a little present on my deck right outside my sliding doors. Cheeky!  Looks like he might have been eating the Mulberries too.


Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad you posted that picture. I have noticed those kinds of droppings in my back yard. And the feces is filled with mulberry seeds. I was guessing a Fox or Coyote, but your picture matches the look of the present the Opossum has been leaving me. LOL
Allison said…
So far I haven't seen one of these critters this year although something has been leaving large poops behind my shed.. maybe a raccoon this time. Nothing eating the veggies so far but it is early days yet.

Popular Posts