If I Was A Tree

I would like to be an Eastern White Pine.  I love this majestic and beautiful tree which is the provincial tree of Ontario.  For me the very sight of one elicits a sigh contentedness. Add a screeching Blue Jay into that scene and I am in nothing short of complete rapture.  This tree in a setting on a lake stirs many wonderful memories of my childhood in Muskoka.    I love the smell of the needles when they carpet the ground in the fall, the beauty of the rain captured on the needles, and the windblown appearance of a mature pine.  I have a fondness for all trees but this tree holds a special place in my heart and soul. 

Raindrops on pine needles

I know I am not the only one to feel this way.  The White Pine was the subject of many works of art by The Group of Seven. 

A.J. Casson - The White Pine
Franklin Carmichael - Island Georgian Bay


Fred Varley - Stormy Weather Georgian Bay

Tom Thompson - Pine Trees at Sunset

Perhaps I am already a bit like the pine tree.  I seem to thrive more in the sun, I am happy  by a rocky shore,  I am soft but can be prickly if you rub me the wrong way (ha ha) and lastly, I have endured my own weevil which forever changed me and forced me to branch out in different directions but I am still strong and still growing. 



Damage done to a pine tree by the Weevil


It is not so much for its beauty that the forest makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air that emanation from old trees, that so wonderfully changes and renews a weary spirit.  ~Robert Louis Stevenson

Comments

Popular Posts