Authenticity

Authenticity seems to be the buzz word these days with regard to the way people want to live their lives.  Perhaps more and more people are realizing that to live any other way except being authentic is ultimately unsatisfying. 

Of course, we all probably have reasons to live other ways than our authentic selves because of many different circumstances that are seemingly beyond our control such as geographical location, marriage or divorce, raising children, looking after elderly parents, or the need for employment, just to mention a few. 

The sad and hard part is that once you have lost your true authentic self it means work, change, vulnerability and sometimes discomfort to get it back.  Ultimately though the self awareness and willingness to rediscover your authentic self will bring joy and contentment.  We all deserve to have a time to be our true selves as adults.  My daughter rolled her eyes when I brought up this topic a few weeks ago.  She probably does not understand yet what is means to lose yourself to other people and things that require you to be something you are not.  I hope she never does.

Being authentic does not mean that you are being entirely self-focused.  Just the opposite; for if you are being truly authentic you should have more of yourself to offer those who are connected to you because you should be able allow yourself to be vulnerable. Only by allowing vulnerability are we really living as our true selves. This week the universe has been sending me signs about my own quest for my personal sense of authenticity for my life and what ultimately I think it means for me. 

To me a major part in being authentic is having an open heart and an open mind.  To have meaningful connections and to nurture those connections.  Another important factor for me is to live closer to nature and to live a simpler, more natural, and more active life.  To shake off the excess stuff and surround myself with  people, things and endeavours that are important to my well being, are meaningful, and add value to my life. To nurture and develop my artistic and spiritual side is yet another significant part of living authentically.


Each person will have their own list of things that would make their lives more authentic for we are all unique. 

My personal goals towards living more authentically are:
to Love with my whole heart
to be present with Nature
to pursue Artistic endeavours
to Nurture meaningful connections
to Hold dear the things that bring value and meaning to my life
to be Grateful and  to practice Gratitude each and every day
Hiking on the shore at Flower Pot Island, Tobermory, Ontario

Working on a watercolour painting



Comments

Popular Posts