End of the Gardening Season

Although we are still experiencing double digit temperatures in mid-November - my grass still looks like it could use a last cutting and I still have rainbow chard doing well; the gardening season is well over for the year.  A couple of weeks ago I put most everything away just leaving out the red Muskoka chairs that are on their last legs and will have to be replaced next year.  Although I am always sad to say goodbye to the garden for the season it does always feel like the right time.  A time of rest, a time to replenish for the next season.

Resembling my life in some ways my perennial beds are established although still growing, but with room for something new each year while the vegetable garden is a blank slate waiting for the both a bit of the tried and true and some new and untested.

I recently received a new gardening book in the mail that I look forward to reading in February - just about when I will be starting to think about and plan next years garden.  The Organic Home Garden written by Patrick Lima and John Scanlan promises to be full of good gardening advice.  They are the owners and tenders of Larkwhistle Garden,  near Miller Lake, Ontario.  The gardens are absolutely stunning and a must see if you are a garden lover.

I love this excerpt from the introduction:

Let the hours in the garden be a time to reflect on the beauty and abundance of our one and only home, and on our place here:  not as conquerors, not as mere workers in a system of someone else's devising, not as madly dashing consumers hell-bent on accumulation, not as numbed and passive spectators, but as participants in life's flow and mysteries, as members of a community and a body politic, and as recipients of the great gifts of the Earth.

Empty garden, retired for the winter

Shed decorated for the holiday season

Pots stored for the winter

Comments

Popular Posts