Trying to Make Sense of the Senseless

Yesterday was my daughter's 20th birthday.

A bitter-sweet day as she says goodbye to a young friend who took his own life this week.

Senseless.

She struggles to understand how someone so talented, bright, funny and with so much potential could be in such a dark place without anyone realizing it - including herself.  How could someone who was surrounded by friends and family feel so alone and so unable to reach out for help.  I struggle to help her understand something I don't really quite understand myself.

When something like this happens friends and family are left feeling that they should have been a better friend, brother, sister, or parent. That they should have known there was something wrong and been able to help.  I don't know exactly why this young man did not reach out for help when he needed it, but I know that a few years ago when I went through a period of darkness it was shame that kept me from reaching out.  

And so I teach my children to never be afraid or ashamed to ask for help.
To know that no matter how lost and lonely they may feel they are not alone.
No matter how dark the world seems the sun will shine again.
That there is always a way out.

As my daughter says goodbye to her friend today she is learning that sometimes there is no way to make sense of the senseless.

In Memory of Lukas

Tend to your sick ones, O Lord Jesus Christ;
rest your weary ones, bless your dying ones;
soothe your suffering ones; pity your afflicted ones;
shield your joyous ones.
And all for your love's sake


Comments

Popular Posts