The Space Between

When I was younger I could never have imagined living most of my life far from my Mom but circumstances with work, marriage and children have made it so. Many miles stretch between my Mom and I (about 3000),but not so many seem to be between our hearts. I don't get to spend time with her very often but she is in my thoughts always and we email daily if not more.

From a distance Mom has shared my sorrows and joys, cheered my successes and soothed my disappointments. Over the phone she has walked me through cooking a turkey dinner, how to soothe a screaming baby, and helped me get over a broken heart (all of these more than once).  Not once has she not had time for me and I can always count on her to be in my corner.

Today as she turns 75 I recall many fond memories of growing up with a Mom who has a sense of humour, an adventurous spirit, a big heart, courage and optimism.

Reading bedtime stories, playing Barbies, baking cookies, rowing around the bay in Bala, slathering ourselves in clay, clam races, scary movies at the cottage, frogs in Aunt Beth's cupboards, tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, Sloan's restaurant, canoeing, walking to the bus stop with Buffy and the cats, laughing till we cried on my 16th birthday at Ascona place, skating on the lake to Neil Diamond, playing cards on rainy summer days, Sunday dinners, cross country skiing, sharing a bottle of Mateus wine (I did not feel well after that) watching the Royal Wedding of Charles and Diana in the middle of the night, the Montreal Olympics with mountains of popcorn, our first trip out west and hiking to Hot Springs Cove, long dinners with lots of lively conversation, and so many more things.

Happy 75th Birthday Mom.  I love you !







Comments

Popular Posts