Happy, Tired or Both?

I am reading The Happiness Project.  Not because I am unhappy really, but because I think I could be happier.  Having said that, I am actually happier in my life right now than I have been in several years.  Much of that has to do with changed circumstances, but some of it can be attributed to a mindful effort to do things that promote happiness in my life.

I think that age has something to do with my search for more happiness.  I remember feeling very excited about turning 40 as I felt I had reached a place where I was finally getting to know myself, and I felt I was clear about what I wanted.  Fast forward 7 years and I am still learning about myself  (and I hope I never stop learning), but I am more certain about who I am and what I need to be happy than I did at 25 or 30.  "Between the ages of twenty and forty we are engaged in the process of discovering who we are, which involves learning the difference between accidental limitations which it is our duty to outgrow and the necessary limitations of our nature beyond which we cannot trespass with impunity". - W.H. Auden.

One of the steps/guidelines to happiness that Gretchen Rubin recommends is to "Aim Higher" which she describes as "learning new things, getting comfortable with failure, and not be afraid to ask for help".  All three of those things I am not good at doing.  I do like to learn new things but generally (if I can choose), I pick things that I am fairly certain I will be able to do because I am not good at failure (read: I am critical of myself),and I don't like to ask for help (my daughter would testify to this as it drives her nuts when I won't find someone to tell me where something is in the store or ask for directions).

It may surprise some of you who know me, and even those who don't (after having read the above) that I am stretching myself both figuratively and literally with learning three things that I got started on even before I started reading The Happiness Project. 

I bought a guitar and started taking lessons; started a photography course; and registered for a Yoga instructor course.  The guitar lessons I am enjoying even though I have ZERO musical ability* (my teacher Aaron is very kind and patient, gratefully); the photography I love (except the part where I have to read the manual and try to figure out some setting I have never used)**, and  I am a wee bit stressed at being behind on my homework already (and I am only in week two). As for the yoga well, we shall see. I am sure I have the right mindset /spirituality for it and I am looking forward to learning about anatomy, but I am not sure how my 47 year old body is going to react to 8+ hours of yoga each week***

* this is where get comfortable with failure
** this is where I should ask for help
*** this is where I may need a stretcher

According to Gretchen I am taking the right steps towards being happier, but I am going to be tired!  Back to Chapter 1 and the first step to happiness "Boost Energy - get more sleep". 

And with that, I wish you a good night!

Comments

Joe Cerminaro said…
Well, I have never heard your guitar playing, so anything I could say about it would just be insincere flattery. However, you are excellent with a camera, a true natural!

Popular Posts