Lessons From the Garden

I am always learning lessons from my garden. In the garden I am so at peace and in tune with myself that it helps me to focus on what is important and what makes me happy and content.  When I am working in the garden I truly know that this is one thing I am meant to do, and that I need in my life. There are so many other things that I do that I don't get the same feeling from. They seem to be more momentary enjoyments - not long lasting ones.  The garden is work that I take pleasure in at every stage, and it never ceases to bring me joy.

Today brought me surprises (and lessons) in the garden.  The first surprise was a second crop of raspberries arriving late in the season.  The sample that I had was sweeter and juicier and more satisfying than I remember the July berries being. Maybe I took the sweetness of the first crop for granted, and it was the unexpectedness of the late season treat that forced me to savour it more the second time around.  

The second surprise was carrots.  I had all but given up on the thought of harvesting carrots from my garden this year.   A combination of weather and soil conditions forced me to plant the seeds late (and twice), and then it seemed they were never going to amount to much.  Today I was busy doing some garden clean-up and randomly grabbed a carrot top to check out the situation. Much to my surprise was lovely carrot of about 6 inches in length.  Digging further I turned up about 20 or so of the same size. They took their time growing but they were worth the wait - sweet and tender!

After my two lovely surprises I got busy with the task of pulling the vegetable plants that are finished producing and making a large pile of cuttings to cover and create compost to work into the soil for next season.  I did some weeding and dead-heading of the perennial beds and took notes of what to put where for next year.  There are some things that I know I will plant again next year, but things that I won't try again.  My experiment of cauliflower did not go that well and I won't bother with it again. The brussels sprouts are doing fine but they take up too much room. They are fun to look at though!

As I sit on the deck writing my garden and blog notes on a late September afternoon in unexpected glorious warm sunshine am grateful for my garden - for the joy, the beauty, and the lessons it teaches me.

Life lessons from the garden:

Sometimes the same thing the second time around is better than the first.
Have the patience to let things grow in their own time.
Remember what works, but don't be afraid to try new things.
Weed out the bad and nurture the good.
The good stuff that is presently in our life promotes healthy growth.

Carrots
Brussels Sprouts tree

Late season second crop of raspberries




Comments

Popular Posts