Defining Courage

The dictionary defines courage as the ability to disregard fear; bravery.  Able or ready to endure danger, disgrace or pain.

I have never considered myself to be a courageous person.  I am afraid of heights, I would never dream of parachuting from an airplane or climbing Mt. Everest, I don't like driving on highways, and I am terrified of roller coasters.  I would, however, like to think that in an emergency situation adrenaline would kick in and I would be able to bravely face whatever was in front of me.

In my mind courageous people have always been those people that risk their lives daily for others - police officers, firefighters, and the very brave men and women who serve in our armed forces, just to name a few.  While I certainly believe these people are not only courageous and often heroic, I know that there are countless  people who define courage in a different way each and every day.

Many people face adversity and fear in their every day lives - people who suffer from incurable diseases that manage to greet each new day with a smile; the single parent who works two jobs to provide for his/her children without complaint; the addict that admits they have a problem, lets themselves be vulnerable and asks for help; the teenager that says no to drugs even when faced with peer pressure; the victim of abuse that lets go of shame and decides enough is enough.  If you asked these people if they were courageous they would probably say no.  But they are.  If you asked these people where do they find their courage or strength they would probably say they have hope.  A belief in something that they cannot see or touch, but they know is there.

There are countless times in our lives when we need to draw upon the courage that we did not know we possessed and to hope and believe that whatever hardships we are facing will not last. 




We are all connected.  Find your courage.  Believe. Hope. Love.

Comments

Joe Cerminaro said…
I will admit to fearing heights (if I look down, that is) Would rather fly the airplane than jump out of it and I am put off of riding carnival rides the older I get.

you are right, Allison. Hope, and in my case faith, allows us to be greater than we think we can be!

Popular Posts