Observing the Garden

These days I am spending a lot of time in the back garden (I am borrowing this term from my British friend because it does sound more pleasant than backyard) watching the birds and observing life in the the garden.

We are feeding the birds even in these warm weeks when other sources of food are abundant partly because I like to watch their antics but mostly because they bring life to the backyard.  It is an ever changing scene in front of me when the birds and squirrels are visiting.  I try to remember to bring my camera with me before I make myself comfortable as there is no running back to get it quickly.  I missed a brief visit from an Oriole not long ago and he hasn't returned.  The regulars come day after day - red winged blackbirds, grackles, mourning doves, robins, a variety of sparrows, cardinals and finches.  I have not seen a blue jay in a few weeks although I do hear their distinctive call around.

The blooms come overnight it seems.  We worried that our poppies would not come at all some weeks ago and then suddenly they pop up and show off their stunning colours.  Though they are short lived blooms usually- easily damaged by wind or heavy rain - they delight me daily while they are doing their thing.  The peonies opened yesterday in the sudden heat (thankfully it has cooled down today) and they are stunning to look at with their heads as big as saucers and their sweet/spicy aroma. I am glad to have enough to be able to bring some inside to enjoy.

I am also observing the insects that are part of the circle of life in the garden.  I am happy to see large bumblebees buzzing around the raspberries that are now in flower.  Not so welcome are the aphids which have taken up residence on the honey locust tree.  In an effort to show them "the door" we bought a supply of ladybugs and asked them to dine.   A tiny ladybug has a very good appetite for aphids.  We also have some wasps which are tenaciously trying to build a nest.  They do not choose very good locations so I have to keep removing them.

I am glad that we have built our little oasis in the back garden in which I can sit and watch and enjoy the birds and blooms while my bones repair themselves.  And now it is time to pour a coffee and go out there and do just that.

Below are a few pictures of some of the garden "show-offs".















Comments

Popular Posts