Band On The Run

I woke up this morning with that song in my head.  Most likely because I feel so trapped lately - "stuck inside these four walls.."  So I decided I would try going for a little walk - just a wee one - down the street to the end where I could see the sky beyond the houses. When I reached the end of the street,  I looked up at the sky and felt a sense of peace (relief) as I realized that  I am gaining back some of my independence and freedom. Then I walked a little further because it felt pretty good and I felt pretty strong.

Every step hurts and takes concentration.  I have to think about making my foot do what it used to do naturally.  Retrain the brain and the foot.  And it has only been six weeks! I miss all the ways my body used to move for me.  It will be a few days yet before I can drive, another while yet before I can do yoga and longer still until I am able to hike.  One step at a time, this little walk felt like a big accomplishment.

With the end of the walk I thought about other things that I want to accomplish.  Perhaps I need to start seeing those goals differently.  Instead of focusing on the end goal and trying to race to the finish line, perhaps I need to reach my goals in a series of small steps.

I have no doubt that the universe had a few big messages for me with this broken foot.  Now I just have to take those messages to heart and use them to move forward from where I am.

"Life is a marathon, not a sprint" - Mastin Kipp



The sky (and a bus) at the bottom of the street


Comments

Popular Posts