Grasshopper With No Legs is Deaf

The title of this post is the punch line to a joke my father used to tell.  Less of a joke and more of a tale really - at least the way he told it. 

When we were up north this week I was "visited" by a grasshopper.  I am not particularly fond of jumping  things because they always seem to jump on me.  This time was no exception.  He was giving me the heebie-jeebies.

We were outside on the deck eating lunch and this grasshopper just kept walking back and forth along the deck rail right beside me only inches (so close I could feel his breath*) away.  I was just waiting for him to jump and land in my hair. But no, he just kept going back and forth back and forth only stopping to eyeball me as if to ask "what are you so afraid of?".  Honestly I can't say really what I was afraid of.  It is not like a grasshopper bites or anything.  And I am much much bigger than him (why wasn't he frightened of me??). 

I really didn't like the way he was looking at me with his big black eyes, like he was looking right through me.  Like he knew exactly what I am afraid of  - which is something he is very very good at.  

Leaping.  
Jumping in.  
With both feet.  

Soon grasshopper. Soon.

"The hind legs of a grasshopper differ from the rest of its legs and the legs of other insects.  They are extremely long and large. The hind legs have delicately controlled muscles.  Those with this totem will usually find that things don't move or flow the way they do with other people.  Progress is not usually made step by step. Instead others may seem to be progressing while you seem to be sitting still.  Do not become discouraged.  When grasshopper shows up, there is about to be a new leap forward - one that will probably carry you past the others around you in your life.
Grasshoppers possess a tympanic organ on the front legs. As they breathe, this organ is activated.  By moving the legs in different directions they are able to locate a sound's source. This connection between sensing sounds and the legs is highly significant.  Trust your inner voice.
Sometimes grasshopper shows up if we are not listening or if we are afraid to make the leap off our mound."

A partial excerpt from Animal Speak - The Spiritual & Magical Powers of Creatures Great & Small written by Ted Andrews.

* maybe a slight exaggeration


Comments

Popular Posts