Let me tell you 'bout the birds and the bees

... and the frogs.

Red Admirals
When I was "up north" this past weekend LOVE  was in the air. It was all around.  The birds were busy chasing each other.  Mind you, I imagine that would be the male birds trying to get a piece of tail.  The female birds seemed to be flying away fairly quickly but I suppose it is all part of the mating game (playing hard to get).  Once they are caught comes the business of setting up house at which they are very industrious and seemingly tireless.  I also saw a lot of butterflies -  mostly Red Admirals - doing the mating chase.  

I am sure there were many other unseen love affairs happening all over the forest.  

I was really most interested in the frogs.  After spending some time going from one to the other with my lips puckered I realized they weren't going to turn into princes and they weren't really interested in me anyway.  I am not exactly sure how it all works but it seems the male frogs sit there (patiently I might add) and call out to the females. How the females choose is beyond me.  Is it their singing voices? (Some of them really sound nice - like Barry White in a froggie sort of way).  Anyway, it certainly can't be their good looks!  I felt sorry for the one male who seemed to be the last one calling out for a mate one night and no one answering.  I hope he doesn't give up.

This one had some potential but I wasn't keen on the
 things on the side of his head
This ones legs were too skinny
This one reminded me of my ex . Say no more.
Bulgy eyes. Sorry froggie.
Now this one had real potential with his leopard coat,
 but he hopped away before I could catch him.
Story of my life.

Comments

Popular Posts