Wing It Wednesday

During my second marriage I  had a fantasy that went something like this..

Make it yourself Monday
Take out Tuesday
Wing it Wednesday
Throw it together (yourself) Thursday
Fetch your own Friday
Serve yourself Saturday
So what if you're hungry? Sunday

In those days I had to have dinner on the table every night at 6:00.  

Fantasies and dreams are good to have, but be careful what you wish for.  

For about the past six weeks or so (oddly corresponding with me starting yoga teacher training) our dinner schedule (or dinners period) seems to be a thing of the past.  Between my training, homework,  kids social lives and work schedules we are rarely home at the same time and when we are I often don't feel like cooking.  I miss sitting down with the kids to a decent dinner (i.e. with vegetables!) and catching up on their day.  Right now I am still trying to adjust to a more hectic than usual schedule while trying to carve bits of time out for myself (usually at the expense of clean clothes or food in the fridge) so I often don't feel inspired to put much on the table.

To try and bring a bit of normalcy to my week, last night I decided  to make an effort and cook a decent dinner that didn't consist of anything pre-cooked or frozen.  Flying in from work I didn't even bother to change out of my work clothes before preparing the veggies and chicken for the oven.  Once the bird was in the oven I dashed off to change and do yoga (homework) for an hour.  It was well worth the effort and probably the best roast chicken I have had in a long long time.  Unfortunately 1/3 of us was MIA (i.e. out with friends). However, I was still happy to put a good nourishing, comforting meal in front of my daughter who has been buried in essays, papers and looming deadlines that she feels will never end.  

Hopefully that one good meal gets me off the cooking hook for a few days because today we are back to Wing it Wednesday.  


Barefoot Contessa's Perfect Roast Chicken - pre cooking

Barefoot Contessa's Perfect Roast Chicken  - ready to eat

Comments

Charlotte said…
Love your blog Allison!

Popular Posts