The Yogi Within

I was first introduced to yoga when I was a teenager.  Not that I was doing yoga in those days, but my Dad was.  He would do his asanas every morning before meditating.  He did this long before yoga was the cool and fashionable trend it is these days. In those days I considered that my Dad was an odd hippie type. 

I tried yoga on for fit a few times during my 20's and 30's, but it still did not stick with me (or me with it) until I was in my 40's and it became part of my daily life. Yoga has transformed me in many ways.  It has helped me cope with depression and anxiety by refocusing and quietening my thoughts.  It makes me feel strong- mentally, physically and spiritually. It has introduced me to a tribe of amazing fellow yogis and teachers. Mostly though, it has opened my eyes to who I am and the potential of who I can become. 

These days yoga is a trend that is mainstream, and still gaining momentum.  That is good is some ways and not in others. 

Yoga*, what it truly is, is widely misunderstood.

Yoga is not about the yoga pants - comfy as they are, or having a tight toned tush.  It is not about how flexible you are -  although practicing the poses regularly will improve the flexibility of your body and mind. Yoga does not discriminate against your sex, race, body shape, religion, age, sexual orientation or bank balance. Yoga is for everybody.

Yoga is a life long journey.  It is about the journey to to unite you with your true self, your centre, that place of grace, divinity, and light that is within you.  The practice of asanas (poses), combined with mindful breathing helps you on that journey.  Yoga, like life is all about the journey, not the destination.  Take your time, explore, be open to what it brings you, and enjoy the process.

Namaste





* Yoga - Sanskrit translation "union"




Comments

Réal said…
Namaste: My soul recognizes your soul, I honor the light, love, beauty, truth and kindness within you because it is also within me, in sharing these things there is no distance and no difference between us, we are the same, we are one.

Popular Posts