Lilac Dreams

A sweet smell drifts on the warm evening breeze. Lilac and another scent less familiar - apple blossom perhaps.  A memory of long ago is stirred.  I breathe deeply drinking in their heady scent for I know the blooms of the lilac will fade all too soon for another season.  A flicker of bright red in the leaves announces the arrival of a pair of loving cardinals for a late evening meal.  They seem to like to dine in privacy best, long after the other birds have had their fill.  A romantic dinner perhaps?   It has become quiet on the deck with everyone at home retreating inside.  A sense of peace and calm comes over me as I listen to the playful song of the birds accompanied by a lovely melody being practiced on the piano of  a neighbouring house.  Another memory is stirred from somewhere deep within and I close my eyes and take in the sounds completely, enjoying the moment before it passes.  I think I could sit like this forever breathing in the sweet fragrances, feeling the warm air on my skin, listening to the chorus of birds and piano keys. I feel like I am immersed in a chapter of a Jane Austen novel fully expecting Mr. Darcy or Colonel Brandon to arrive at any moment.  Fanciful thoughts.









Comments

Réal said…
Magnificent! What a pleasure to read you Allison by thinking of your dad who had that talent to describe what he was seeing in a poetic way ... Don, as you, had his own angle to see the world around him. Thanks for sharing your thoughts in a so beautiful way! An other instant of hapiness for me adding to my bliss...

Popular Posts