Magic

The other day I had a conversation with a work colleague about whether or not I believed in magic.  We were not talking about the kind that magicians do pulling rabbits out of hats. but the bigger type of magic.  Fairies, spirits, psychics and other types of magical things.  The conversation started, I think, because she has a young daughter (4?) who believes in fairies and Santa and all sorts of magical things.  Of course she does and she should. She is young and innocent and at that age the world is a wondrous and magical place!

Our conversation got me to thinking as to whether or not I really do believe in magic.  I concluded that probably believe a lot more than some do in the magic of the world.  I believe there are things most of us can't see (like spirits), and that there many magical things we don't really know about the universe.  I like the idea of some things being unknown and not digging too deep to try and figure it all out;  trusting in the universe to have a knowledge and power beyond that of the human mind and what we can grasp and know.

Having reached 50 (gasp!) and having experienced the darker side of life I am happy that I can still see magic and miracles in everyday experiences - staring into a flickering fire and seeing the art that a simple flame can make dancing with ever changing hues of orange and yellow; looking up to a starlit sky and experiencing the enormity of the universe and feeling like a tiny speck; watching thousands of snowflakes flutter down; each one a unique and beautiful icy sculpture; watching a bud opening towards the sun day by day.  So many magical moments happen each day right under our noses.  We need to retain our childlike wonder and awe at these magical happenings,  and perhaps if we look hard enough we will see the fairies hiding out under the of the peony blooms.







Comments

Popular Posts