He Loved Ice Cream

Sunday marked a first Father's Day without Dad.  Fortuitously (or by design?) it coincided with the Summer Solstice as well as International Yoga Day.  For a Yogi, a Father and a believer in the mystical power of the planets it seemed a fitting time to disburse his ashes and say farewell.

What better place then the serene and picturesque surroundings at the Maharishi International Academy on the beautiful Lake of Bays.  This was a place Dad had spent may happy years with long time friends.   As we spoke of him, recalling his sweet and gentle soul, dry humour, and caring nature who had nothing bad to say about anyone we also remembered his love of sweets and ice cream. He thought of others, spent most of his time in quiet contemplation and had a great respect for the ways of nature. 

I felt calm on this day thinking not of myself and how I miss him, but of what I should do to honour his life calling in the best way I could think of.  

The Puja ceremony that was done by his friends was simple and beautiful and from the heart.  Nothing more would have pleased him more. 

As I let Dad's ashes disburse into the water,  I felt at peace,  as I know he is.  

A Puja held in Dad's honour

Paddling out to find the right spot



Dad's final resting place from the shore




When the days close on the memories that you’ve acquired
And your body cannot hold your soul inspired
You are here and not alone
Everybody has come home 
There’s a bed made up upstairs
If you get tired

All the heaviness around you will get light
And your worry lifted up into the night
Left with nothing but pure love
Left with all you are made of
Can I stay around awhile 
Is that all right?

Oh lives don’t end
Goin’ out to be brought back again
Our lives don’t end




Comments

Réal said…
Wow! Beautiful text and pictures from Huntsville with a nice lady in a canoe!!! A lot of souvenirs for me. I was there with Don in 1996-97 and I'm very happy that his ashes have been spread there.

By the way, the ceremony has inspired me to email my buddy to give him some instructions regarding my own ashes. It was in French but here is a so so Google translation in English:

In case of sudden death here in West Virginia, I want to be cremated and my ashes to be dispersed here on the site in the stream behind our building down the hill, a quiet place that is familiar to me with all its songs of birds ... I think it would be easier for everyone. These instructions are valid as long as I am in US territory in WV unless new circumstances make me change my mind.
Anonymous said…
Beautiful, indeed!
Allison said…
West Virginia with the bluebirds sounds like a lovely plan :)
Réal said…
A second brood of BB has just left the nest on June 22nd (+5 BB). I can hear many bird songs from my suite with Indigo Bunting (very active right now), Catbird, Goldfinch, Mocking Bird, Towhee, Phoebe, Cardinal etc... Many deers around the buildings...

Popular Posts