Who Am I

There are days when I honestly don't know the answer to that question.  I spend most of my days (as we all do) being something to someone. A Mother, an employee, a friend, a daughter, a partner. Days (and weeks) go by where I am so caught up in being these roles and trying so hard to be good  at them that I can be that I can't remember who I am other than these things.

When I feel lost and disconnected from myself I know it is time to slow down find the space and silence to connect again.  To hear my heart beating.  My heart.  To hear my own thoughts. My thoughts.  To dream my dreams.  My dreams.

Walking through the trees, listening to the silence
Working the garden, sun on my back
Gazing out across the lake, breeze in my face
Moulding clay, wet and smooth, the hum of the wheel
Looking through my camera lens, focusing
 Practicing yoga, breathing

In these places, doing these things, I can feel who I am again.  Someone who loves the water, the trees, flowers, and birds; who loves colour - in the petals of the flowers, the glistening wings of a dragonfly,  in a brush stroke across canvas. One who can find beauty and pleasure in the simplest of things - the dew drops on grass, the shape of the clouds, the softness of light at dawn.  Someone who is creative, strong, brave and tender.  A dreamer, a worrier, a believer of more.  These things are me. 

“The thread is your spirit seeking expression. Your thread is that which connects the dots and experiences of your life and allows you to become who you were meant to be. Everybody has their own thread. What is your thread? What’s your purpose? Why are you here? What is that which connects the dots of your life? Your job is to pay attention to whatever that is.”  Oprah







Comments

Popular Posts