Balance


Balance can be a difficult thing to achieve.

As I write this blog (which is one of the things I do to create balance* in my life),  I am at my office desk, eating my lunch, trying to take 10 minutes for a break and I am being constantly interrupted by telephones, text messages, and knocks at the door.    Is it any wonder why we are in a constant state of stress / unbalance?  The demands of our lives never seem to stop.  

Each individual will have a different set of demands, and a different way to restore balance if they get thrown off but we all need the balance to feel happy.  

Perhaps we all need to use our time more wisely for the things that make us feel more balanced and less stressed.  Perhaps we let too much in, don't say NO often enough.  Perhaps we need to turn off the cell phones, computers, and televisions once in a while.  Perhaps we need to check / change our priorities. 

Today I am making this blog a priority because I haven't been able to squeeze it in much lately. 

That's going to change.

* 3 Rules to Life Balance
1. There is no right way to do anything, only a right now way. Wherever we are, we think of someplace else. I should be over there. No, I should be back hereHere, there, here, there. What is the right thing to do? That kind of thinking is what really makes your head spin. Stop that. Be where you are. When you’re at work, be at work. When you’re at home, be at home. When driving, drive; eating, eat; sleeping, sleep. Get out of your head and tell me, right now, where’s the problem?
2. You have all the time you need for what’s important to you. What is most important? Whatever is right in front of you. Why? Because that’s the only thing that exists! In truth, you already have ample time for what is important to you. It just might surprise you to see what that is. What do you keep putting in front of yourself? Food? Drink? Computer? The average adult spends 28 hours a week watching TV. The average woman spends 8 years of her life shopping. These probably aren’t things that you would consciously set as your priorities, so consciously set your real priorities. And when you do, you’ll see that Rule 3 proves itself.
3. How you do anything is how you do everything. I borrow this from writer/teacher Cheri Huber, who paraphrased my main man Dogen: “If you find one thing wearisome, you will find everything wearisome.” Pay attention, be present, cultivate focus in one facet of your life and you will enjoy it in all facets of your life. Because an attentive person is an attentive person! A happy person is a happy person! A balanced person is a balanced person!












Comments

Popular Posts