Let The Planting Begin

The Victoria Day weekend in May is traditional for planting the garden.  The threat of frost is past (hopefully) and the garden business is booming this weekend as the weather cooperates for planting. The garden centre where both of my kids work was buzzing with people loading their carts with all sorts of things. After being away I had a bit of gardening catch up to do so I weeded and prepared the beds yesterday and today was able to plant most of my seeds.  

This years crop will be less adventurous than last year.  Onions, pole beans, four types of tomatoes, snap peas, sweet peas, beets, Swiss chard, zucchini, herbs and, of course, lettuce.  New on my list is garlic which I have never grown before. My neighbour was kind enough to give me some strawberry plants so I am excited about the prospect of fresh picked strawberries.  

One of the raised beds planted with tomatoes, herbs, 
Swiss chard, zuchinni and stawberries



The planters were next.  My daughter had planted a couple as a Mother's day gift and the rest I filled with favourites.  

Pots by Meghann



The perennial beds are looking very full after 4 years of growth so I won't be adding anything new this year.  I am thinking about a tree for the front bed - perhaps a flowering dogwood.  Decision to come.

Bleeding hearts & rabbit


Lilacs at the gate


Back perennial beds starting to grow



A tradition at our house for this long weekend is ribs and corn on the barbeque.

Comments

Popular Posts