Winter in the Garden

Now that we are well and truly in the midst of winter, the holidays behind us, and many months of cold weather ahead of us, I find myself yearning for my garden.

Even as I long for the sights, sounds and smells of the garden in bloom, I recognize that the garden needs this period of rest.  I hope for a thick blanket of snow this year.  Snow that will insulate the tender roots and, come spring, provide them their first drink.  


I can use this period of dormancy to plan ahead for the changes and additions I will make to the garden this year. I will try to decide which vegetables to plant for our consumption. I would like to add more perennials and once again extend the front garden space, slowly getting rid of the grass.  I think about what types of flowers will attract more birds, bees and butterflies.  I would like to add a small water feature to the back garden to give those same creatures a place to drink. 

I think about the part that my small garden plays in connection to the natural world that surrounds us in this neighbourhood and beyond.  How the seeds of the flowers provide food for birds and squirrels.  How the same flowers provide precious pollen for bees and butterflies.  How the trees provide shelter.  How my small vegetable plot feeds my family with healthy organic produce takes a small portion of the strain off the complex food system.

I think about how, if everyone who could, created a small garden of vegetables, flowers and trees, how much they would benefit directly as well as how - indirectly-  the natural world around us would benefit.  For many of us a garden is the single greatest opportunity we have to connect with nature, to be attentive to the music of the natural world, to observe the beauty in the smallest of things.  The garden and nature has much to teach us.  

One reaps what one sows.

"I find one vast garden spread out all over the universe. All plants, all human beings, all higher mind bodies are about in this garden in various ways, each has...his own uniqueness and beauty. Their presence and variety give me great delight. Every one of you adds with his special feature to the glory of the garden." 
~ Sri Anandamayi Ma

Comments

Popular Posts