Fresh Food Challenge - The Results

Yesterday we enjoyed what I think was one of the best Thanksgiving dinners I have ever cooked.  Was it because the ingredients were all fresh and organic,or just coincidence?  Either way I felt better knowing that I was cooking with the best ingredients that I could find locally. My daughter helped chop and made the stuffing  while we listened to a variety of music - Neil Diamond, Patsy Cline, and the Eagles. We had a great day of cooking and eating and quality family time.

Getting ready for a morning of cooking
The menu:  Roast turkey with stuffing, roasted butternut squash, cream cheese mashed potatoes, green beans with caramelized onions, wild rice, cranberry sauce, and apple crisp for dessert.

The ingredients:

Organic free range turkey - Beretta Organic Farms
Cranberries - Johnson's Cranberry Marsh
Potatoes - Whole Foods Organic
Celery - Whole Foods Organic
Onions - Whole Foods Organic
Green Beans - Whole Circle Farm
Butternut Squash - Whole Circle Farm
Wild Rice - Not organic
Bread - De La Terre Bakery
McIntosh Apples - Whole Foods Organic
Flour -  Oak Manor Organic
Oats - Oak Manor Organic
Sage & Thyme - from my garden (organic)
Butter - Organic Meadow
Cream Cheese - Organic Meadow
Sour Cream - Organic Meadow
Sugar - non organic
Red Wine - Southbrook Connect Organic

All in all I think I did pretty well with this challenge. The only two ingredients that were not organic were the wild rice and the sugar (next time they will be).  I have to confess the turkey was fairly expensive compared to frozen non-organic supermarket fare, but well worth the extra cost health wise and taste wise. Same with the butter.

Looks good enough to eat!


And today.. the leftovers.  Yum.




Comments

Popular Posts