Juicy Steak "Secret" and Other Lessons From My Father

I have heard a few times recently, from a few different sources, the belief that when we are just souls awaiting our mortal bodies that we choose who our parents will be.  I am not sure I completely buy into that idea, but it is an interesting philosophy that I am willing to explore further.

My spiritual teacher's take on it is that we choose the parents we need for the lessons need to learn on our life path  in order to elevate ourselves further towards enlightenment.  She said with a chuckle "since we choose our parents, stop blaming them for everything".

This being Father's Day I thought I would reflect on and share some of the lessons - big and small - that I have learned from my Father.

To make a good, juicy, melt-in-your-mouth steak it has to rest under foil for a few minutes before being eaten.  This is a strange lesson from my Father who has been a vegetarian for over 30 years now, but damn he knew how to cook a steak when I was a kid.

That a Ralph Lauren sweater does not replace real love and affection. Children need to be told and shown they are loved, to be encouraged and accepted,  much more than they need material things.

That a corny joke is the funniest.  And the only kind I can remember. Two peanuts walk into a park.  One was a salted.  ha ha


A few good quality belongings with memories attached are more valuable than a houseful of meaningless items.  My Father always travelled light.  He is  not attached to much knowing that nothing is permanent and we can't leave this world with our "stuff" anyway.

To be active with your body and mind as much as you can while you can.  My Father's degenerative disease is a reminder to me that every day that you are healthy of body and mind is a good day.

The importance of quietening your mind and that listening is not just done with your ears. My Father has meditated and was a teacher of meditation for many years, but for me is an off and on thing.  I do know that when I take the time to practice regularly that I feel much better and can hear my "intuition" much more clearly.

How to tie a tie.  Something I think I have now forgotten but was handy when it was fashionable for girls to wear ties.

Artwork that you love, that inspires and moves you is worth every penny you are willing to pay for it.  My Father is an art lover, an artist.  If I had money I would probably spend a lot on artwork.

That life is uncertain so eat dessert first.  I am not a big dessert eater so I would not do this, but I could apply this philosophy to other areas of my life where perhaps I follow "rules" a little too closely.



How to practice forgiveness, patience and tolerance.  My Father is a pro at all of those.

Today when I was visiting my Father at the nursing home where he lives they were having a discussion about Fathers.  Someone asked my Father if he thought he had been a good Father and he said "normal, I guess".  My Father was not perfect, but I love him just the same.  He is human as we all are.  Learning,  learning all the time.

Thanks for the lessons Dad.








Comments

Popular Posts