An Ordinary Life

Like most people I live an ordinary life.  I don't strive for - or particularly want - extraordinary -  fame, fortune or otherwise.   Each day I wake up with the simple thought that I would like this day to be as good as I can make it, better than yesterday, and memorable in some small way.  Often, it all falls apart by the time I am heading out the door to work (ha ha) -  it goes something like this.. wake up, think positive thoughts, read for a couple of minutes, do some yoga,  then remember that I have no gas in the car (damn) and nothing to make sandwiches (damn again) and geeze what to wear to work?  Then I remember.. this is life. This is my life to make the most of or not, ordinary or not. 

These days I  truly find that it is the most ordinary everyday moments that bring me the most joy.  The quiet moments on weekend mornings before everyone else has stirred, the way the morning sunlight hits the copper pots and pans hanging in the kitchen, the smell of an un-rushed cup of coffee, making Hilda's banana muffins* to go with that coffee, a sunny day walk in my neighbourhood, enjoying a movie night cuddled with the kids.  Lots of little ordinary things that = joy.

Last autumn I took a photography course with a most extraordinarily lovely and creative superhero - Andrea Scher.  Though we learned the technical stuff,  the biggest lesson I took from her was how to train my eye to see things differently. To find beauty in the most ordinary things.  To look at the way the light played upon my subjects and to see and capture the joy.  I use this lesson for both my camera and my life and it is not a lesson I will forget.  Life gives us magic and beauty every day - it is all in  how you see it.  

Pretty tulips giving me a burst of spring joy 

I am taking part two of this course and it is fittingly called Elevate the Ordinary.  I am sure that Andrea has many more photography and life lessons for me.


Hilda's Banana Muffins

Hilda has been my bosom friend and kindred spirit for 25 years. She passed this recipe to me a long time ago and we have been enjoying them ever since.

3-4 ripe bananas
6 tablespoons vegetable oil or melted shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 egg, well beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder

Mash bananas, add oil, sugar, salt, egg and vanilla.  Mix well.
Sift flour with baking soda and baking powder.
Add sifted dry ingredients to banana mixture.
Stir until moistened and spoon into muffin pan lined with muffin cups.
Bake at 350 degrees F for about 17-20 minutes.

Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts