Lovely Lily



 The Daylily (Hemerocallis) is one of my favourites to have in my garden. They are one of the first shoots up in the spring and long before they flower, their reed-like foliage spreads vigorously.  There are a wide variety of colours available.  They produce long flower stalks and that can bear numerous buds, each of which bloom only for a day (this is the downside of Daylily).  They are low maintenance, and can thrive in a wide variety of growing conditions

This flower is a staple for any cottage garden.  The variety I remember from my childhood has a dark orange flower on a very long stem.  They grew by the roadside in Muskoka and thrived in the very shallow soil that is a problem for many Muskoka gardeners.  I have a few varieties in my garden now and plan to plant more in the front yard when I dig up a new patch. Less grass, more garden is my motto!




Comments

Popular Posts