Simple Pleasures

I have been thinking a lot about why I write this blog and who reads it.  I came to the conclusion that it doesn't really matter who reads it because this blog is for me more than for anyone else.  If there is someone out there (hello hello.. anyone there?) who resonates with anything I write or the pictures I post then that is an added bonus.Writing here is a a creative outlet for me.  Whether it be writing, drawing, gardening, home decorating, makeup artistry, baking, singing or dancing... you get my drift, it is an outlet that we all need.

The pace of life is so fast and the world seems to be in constant chaos.  The world is at our fingertips, up to the minute news about whatever you want to know about at any time of the day.  Update notices rapidly dinging off our on smart phones. Ding ding ding!

So many people (myself included up until my forced relaxation) live their daily lives in a state of constant movement.  Go go go.  As fast as you can, get this done, get that done and once everything is done do some more.  Make a list, check it off, and create another.  We judge each other by how busy we are and how many activities we have our kids enrolled in.  Why? Why is being busy all the time so important?

One thing for sure it is taking a toll on our health - physically and mentally.  Studies show that that chronic stress is adding up to an increase in cardiovascular disease, anxiety and depression for starters.

And while we humans do seem to be spinning out of control I feel that there is a change coming.  Many of us are feeling the need to get back to ourselves and experience life's simple pleasures.  Mainstream now is the popularity of yoga, meditation and this thing called "mindfulness".  My definition of mindfulness is noticing and enjoying life's simple pleasures and being creative.  Being creative is  a great way to practice mindfulness because it engages your whole brain as well as your emotions.  It is impossible not to be mindful while being creative.

Enjoying simple pleasures and being creative nourish the soul.  They bring us into the present and help us connect with ourselves.  I make it a practice each day to enjoy simple pleasures and my garden is a big source of pleasure for me - the colours, sounds and smells.  And while I am in the garden I engage my creative self taking photos of the flowers and the birds.

Go on.. test my theories.. I dare you! :)

Put your list away, take a breath and have a beautiful, pleasurable, creative and mindful day.



















Comments

Popular Posts