Victoria Day Planting

I woke up with the lyrics of a Sarah Harmer song in my head " I got to put some seeds in the ground"... I am sure I am not the only gardener that felt the urge to get going and get planting as the Victoria Day long weekend is a traditional weekend for starting the garden.  Hopefully the threat of frost has passed completely (we did have a warning just a week ago though).

This year I took a different approach and I planted in neat rows marked off with twine and sketched a "map" of what I planted.  I did this partly because I keep forgetting where I put things and I am hoping the twine will keep Jack (our cat that loves rolling in the earth) out of the newly planted beds.
Veggies in the garden this year:

Scarlett Runner Beans (planted more for the flowers - hummingbirds love them) than the beans.
Sugar Snap Peas
Beets
Rainbow variety carrots
Rainbow chard
Lettuce (3 varieties - Romaine, Butter crunch and Mesclun mix)
Green onions
Red onions
Tomatoes (6 different types)
Yellow Summer Squash
Zuchini
Sweet Potato

Along with those there are a variety herbs.. organo, basil, rosemary, thyme, dill, cilantro and basil.



Mother's day present to myself.

Lilac blooms are a favourite of mine.

Mother's day gift from my daughter.


Ready for planting

Not very smart to have the bird feeder right over the garden bed,
but it is a good location to watch from the house.
I had to clean up a lot of seeds before planting the ones I wanted.

Planted and ready to grow.




Comments

Popular Posts