Lessons in the Garden

1.  Plant what  you love, love what you plant.  

Much along the lines of do what you love, love what you do (wouldn't that be sweet?) if you plant what you love you will enjoy your garden more and it won't feel like work to take care of it because you will want to.  Who cares what the trend is or what everyone else is planting? Love your garden and you will reap the rewards.  

Raspberries.  
I love them dearly.


 Lavender.  Lots of things you can do with it.  
All I ever do is run my hands though it and inhale the lovely scent. 
Love it.



I fell in love with someone else's hollyhocks.  
Now I have my own so I don't have to yearn for something that is not mine. 
Love love love them.



2.  If someone offers you a clipping from their garden take it. 

My back-door neighbour (Rudy) gave me a tiny cutting of this hydrangea two years ago.  I didn't think it would survive, but I babied it and now it is a show-piece in my front garden. It is now officially called Rudy's hydrangea.

Love it to bits.



3. Try one thing new (in the garden and otherwise) every year.

This year we tried three.

Creeping Jenny.  Will never not (forgive the double negative) have it in a planter again.
Sounds a little creepy, but I love this creeper.


Portulaca. 
I now have a tenderness for this finicky flower.


Nicotiana.  
Don't hate it, but don't love it.  Probably won't plant it again.  Sorry nicotiana.



4. Gin and tonic is better with company, but can also  be enjoyed on your own  - as long as you are in the garden.

Really.. what's not to love?




Comments

Popular Posts