Preparing the Canvas

Yesterday was one of those perfect early spring days.  The sky was blue, the air was cool and the sun was warm.  I had a list of errands to do that quickly got pushed aside for my preference to spend a couple of hours working in the garden.  Preparing the canvas for spring planting.  

This part is the real work of gardening - the preparation.  Unless you have an imagination and can see the end result being worth it, this is where some people say no to gardening.  There is no instant gratification.  It is a slow and laborious process starting with preparing the soil.  For me, the pleasure of fresh vegetables and beautiful flowers is worth every bit of effort.

My first task was to clear the fall leaves that I had spread over all the beds to both  protect the perennials and add some nutrients to the soil. The second task was to prune back some of the perennial stems I left over winter. The raspberry canes were pruned last week.  

There is still lots to do including edging the beds, adding some more compost and turning the soil as well as pulling weeds that survived the winter.  

All of it work. All of it a joy to me.

The corner bed of perennials.  It will have to be extended again this year.

Pots waiting to be planted with herbs and flowers.
Many more await in the shed.

One of the raised vegetable beds.
The chives are coming up nicely already.

Rasberry canes.
They will need some support I think,

A surprise under the leaves.  Tiny crocus.



Comments

Popular Posts