Spring Cleaning

I know, it's not spring yet although Wiarton Willie predicted an early spring for us (I hope he is right). 

The past couple of weeks I have felt an inner restlessness. The kind that makes me want to make BIG changes in my life. I can't seem to walk far enough or sit still long enough to work through what is causing me to feel this way.  No weeds to pull either.

So.. spring cleaning seemed like a good idea to burn off some energy.  Making some visual changes, organizing, cleaning, freshening.  The benefit of doing this now is that when spring does come I will be ready to go outside and enjoy the garden and warmer temperatures.

Last weekend the kids helped me change the furniture around in the living room and I changed my bedroom around. This weekend's project was to revamp the kitchen a little. I borrowed my sister Katherine's idea and took the doors off some of the kitchen cabinets for different look.  It makes it easier to put the dishes away!



A reward for the hard work - sour cream coffee cake.







Sour Cream Coffee Cake

  • 1 cup sour cream (or plain unsweetened yogurt)
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 cup soft butter
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 eggs, well beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 and 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder


In a small bowl combine sour cream and baking soda; let double in volume.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar together, mixing well.
Add eggs and vanilla, mixing until light and fluffy.
Add sifted dry ingredients and sour cream mixture alternately to butter mixture.
Spread half the batter into a prepared 9" square cake pan*  and sprinkle with half of the topping.
Cover with remaining batter and then put the rest of the topping on.

Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes.

Topping (mix together in a small bowl)

  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons cinnamon 

* I used a bundt pan. Baking time was about 10 minutes longer.

















Comments

Popular Posts