Dear Greg,

Mom asked me to write something today in remembrance.  She needn't of asked, I would have anyway.  You have been on my mind a lot lately, your presence strong around me.  I wonder if maybe you have grown impatient waiting for me to read and transcribe your journals as you made me promise to do.  I have them in front of me now and a quick scan through them reminds me of why I have put it off.  It will be difficult to read your thoughts, feelings and experiences during your battle with cancer.  But I will, I promise.

I can't believe two years have passed already since you left the earth and your body for what I hope is a more peaceful and pain free place for you.  Mom misses you.  She wishes that you could see the Leaf's this year.  They are doing well - perhaps there is some hope for them!  You would be so pleased with how well Mom is doing. She is stronger than she has been in years and continues to amaze us with her resiliency. You would have been disappointed with the Jays this year but there is always next year.  

I recall sitting with you at the hospice feeling saddened by the news of Leonard Cohen's passing and being absolutely flabbergasted that Trump was elected (yes, he is still in office).  I try not to think too much as you were those last days of your life.  I am glad I was there, but it is very sad to remember.  Instead I try to think back on when we were all young, happy and free.  The joyful times spent at our cottage in Bala, or our home on Lake Muskoka.  The many hours spent canoeing, boating, fishing, catching frogs and exploring, free from any worries.

I am glad that you never lost your sense of wonder for life or the beauty of nature which you captured in photos and words even while you were struggling for your life.  Your love of music never left you and I still listen to the CD you played for me at the hospice.  I think too that you never lost hope that you would get well again.  I wish that had happened for you, that you had another chance to live your life.  

But, like so many, your life was cut short.  Today is a day we remember you, and at the same time remember all of those that gave their lives so that we could be free.  

We will never forget you Greg.  You are missed, remembered and loved.

Love, Allison

p.s. can you believe that marijuana was legalized in Canada?



An except from the journals of Gregory Ian Macdonald Murray: 

Saturday October 29, 2016 

Just went out to buy a per to read. Then I guess I will have "brunch", sort of missed breakfast and it's too early for lunch. I can't believe the plants are still growing. Maybe I'm just dreaming of my release date and a bonfire on the beach. Wouldn't that be just so excellent. 

All in a line
All in a line
friends of mine,
in a line
Waiting for the time
in the line
to lay your head down next to mine
Soon the sun will shine









Note - I am not sure if the poem was written by Greg, or if the words are lyrics to some song. 



Comments

Popular Posts