It's Worth the Drive to Birch Island

This past weekend we made our way on what I hope will be an annual trip to Birch Island (hint hint).  Driving north past my hometown and the unique and beautiful landscape of the near and not so near northern part of Ontario always makes me a bit melancholy.  The white pines seemingly growing straight out of the granite rock face, silhouetted against the dark blue lakes speak to me like no other landscape that I have experienced so far in my life.

We went much farther north than Muskoka, ending up at Birch Island on McGregor Bay.  Four Bruce Trail hikers armed with plenty of wine and food together for a weekend of relaxation.  If there is a way to forget your to-do list at home, this is it.  For a full 48 hours I did not think about anything much at all that was waiting for me at home or at work.  Maybe this is why people do not mind making the weekly trek north to cottage country? 

After a late night of chatting and laughter,  I was woken in the middle of the night but a strong scent of smoke.  The forest fire burning in the Parry Sound area was creating enough smoke to blow to where we were.  It was the first time in my life that I have experienced such a heavy smoke from forest fires.  Scary.  I thought about how we might escape harms way should there be an evacuation in the area. When we woke in the morning it was like a fog was hanging over the water.  Luckily enough by the time we were finished our brunch the wind had changed directions and the smoke cleared* .  

Stomachs full of bacon and eggs we headed out to hike the Cup and Saucer trail.  It was a great trail and a fairly easy 12 km with beautiful lookouts.   It was a humid day, and we were eagerly anticipating a nice refreshing swim.

It is a such a treat to experience a weekend at "camp" (as they call what I know as cottage in this neck of the woods).  Good friends, good food, good wine and an awesome camp.  What more could you ask for?



Smokey haze on the bay

Smokey haze on the camp road

View from camp

Hiking the Cup and Saucer Trail

Moss grows fat on a rolling stone

Looking out on the escarpment - wind turbines in the distance


High up and as close to the edge as I would go


Through the forest

Craggy cedar

Clouds over the bay

Karen - dock sitting

Yours truly


Nancy enjoying a snack on the dock

Valerie and Rudy

Rudy  


Beatrice ("Bea")



Surfer girls


Dusk over the bay


Wild daisy

* Sadly the fires continue to burn due to such dry conditions.  Please obey the no burn restrictions in place.


Comments

Popular Posts