Gardening as Meditation

Sporadic blog posts are becoming my norm.  I have a hard time with that - with the realization that I just can't do everything.  I can't be everywhere.  I can't be everything to everyone. Things have to give once in a while.  That is HARD for me.  But life is busy.  Like it is for everyone.  Does anyone else feel like time is fast forwarding and things are moving at a faster and faster pace?  I long to slow down.

If there is a time of year to try and slow down and enjoy it is the summer.  The days are longer but the season is fleeting.  The longest day of the year is almost upon us and then (sadly) we will start going the other way.

Today was hot.  I awoke early and went out to the garden.  I needed the time there to just stop thinking, planning and fretting.  For me gardening is like meditation.  There is only the smells, sounds, colours and textures of what is in front of me. There is nothing else.
We practice to have enough strength to confront problems effectively. To do this, we must be calm, fresh, and solid. That is why we need to practice the art of stopping.  When we learn to stop, we become calmer, and our mind becomes clearer, like clear water after the particles of mud have settled.
~ The Art of Stopping - Thich Nhat Hanh 
















Comments

Popular Posts