SMIWDO

This morning I woke up to the alarm clock reluctantly.  I hit the snooze button three times. Nothing positive entered my mind.  There was nothing I wanted to get out of bed for.  Nothing.  

When I feel like this I have to start giving myself a little pep talk. I start taking stock of the reasons I need to get out of bed (feed the cat, visit your Dad, go to work) and the reasons I should be grateful I can get out of bed. Then I give myself instructions:  "you may lie here for two more minutes, then you are going to get out of bed.  You are going to do five sun salutations -(ah yes, that feels better), then you are going to go and brush your teeth, wash your face and put in your contact lenses.  That done you are going to go downstairs and feed the cat and then you are going to make a mug full of hot water and lemon... see?.. much better".  

Besides forcing myself out of bed and out the door, this morning I had to force myself  to go and visit my father.  Believe me, I know how terrible that sounds.  Sometimes it is very difficult for me to walk into that nursing  home and see what my father has become (or should I say how he has become not like my father). Some days that is very difficult indeed.

Off I go - coffee, Timbits and newspaper in hand.  How will he be today?  Will he talk to me? Will I understand his conversation?  Will I be loving enough? Will I make any difference to his day? 

He was alert today.  His blue eyes clear. A good day.  Within the newspaper there was a book of puzzles. My father did the crossword every day for years.  And the word jumble.  Neither of which I am any good at.  

Not expecting any answer nor willingness from him to play along I show my father the first word in the jumble. SMIWDO

Without hesitation:  "WISDOM", he says.

That I am surprised he has sorted that out so quickly is an understatement, although I should not be.  He has sent me a message with his answer and reminded me that I am lacking in just that - SMIWDO - WISDOM.





Comments

Popular Posts