Finding Nature in the City

I can be a bit of a nature snob - believing that one has to drive 2 or 3 (or more) hours north of the city to see anything good at all.  Sometimes I forget that we have beautiful spots close by to help quench the desire for trees, water and space - a place without people, cars, or noise.  The "without people" task is a little difficult, but this early in the season, fairly early in the morning all you run into are joggers, bird watchers, and dog walkers.  If this makes me sound like I don't like people it isn't true, but sometimes you just need to immerse yourself alone.. in nature.  It soothes the soul and brings things into perspective.  We are so small.  The Universe so BIG.  Our problems so small in the grand scheme of things. The Universe so ready to GUIDE us, so ready to show us how beautiful life can be when we open our eyes, minds and hearts.

Early yesterday morning I went to Jack Darling Park which is only a ten minute drive from my house.  It has a wonderful board walk that takes you through Rattray Marsh.  The marsh was alive with the sight and sounds of so many birds.  One of my favourite sounds is that of the Red Winged Blackbird.  When I hear their call (along with the Robin) if it is sure sign to me that spring has arrived. Another favourite spot is Mount Nemo (one of my favourite singers, Sarah Harmer has been working hard to save the escarpment) and there is also Bronte Provincial Park and Rattlesnake Point.   I must remember to stop being such nature snob and visit these places more often.


The beach at Jack Darling Park
Blue water and grey stones


This duck was fishing
Pebbles on the beach
Canada Geese

Rattray Marsh
Crazy swarms of some kind of fly.
I am sure these make a good meal for the birds.

Red winged blackbird
Swan in the reeds

Comments

Anonymous said…
Beautiful. Your photographs capture the simple wonder of nature! I love your blog. :)
Allison said…
Thank you very much!

Popular Posts