Happiest at Home

I can clearly remember as a little girl of maybe 5 or 6, lying in my bed at my Grandmother's cottage in Bala,  listening to the early morning birdsong.  Now, many years later when I am awakened by the birds early in the morning I am transported back to that time in my memory.  Lying there, feeling safe and happy, the sounds of my Grandmother and Mom preparing breakfast, the blissful anticipation of a carefree summer day ahead.  

While those carefree days of childhood are long past, I find I can still find that feeling, if only fleetingly, when I am out of doors, observing the natural world, whether it be birds, trees, flowers in the garden, or insects.  Certainly during this challenging time in our lives, I have found great comfort from daily walks through the trail near our home, puttering in the garden and feeding the squirrels and birds. 

I never tire of watching the birds and observing their antics, happily sitting in the back garden with my furry bird-watching companion, Jack (I think he has ulterior motives).  The tiniest birds seem to be the bravest, with the chickadee and finches coming close without too much hesitation while the jays, grackles and red-winged blackbirds are all very skittish.  The blue jays and cardinals have come to know when breakfast will be served (in the form of peanuts) if they can beat the squirrels.











The spring brings new visitors to the garden.  The past couple of days we have had the pleasure of hosting a very timid red breasted grosbeak and have seen (but not captured on camera yet) a Baltimore oriole enjoying the apple blossoms.  I will have to entice him with some oranges when the weather improves.  




With the pace of our lives slower down these days, it is a good time so sit back and watch the miracle that is spring unfold in front of us.  Each day we are here is a gift that should not be taken for granted.

May you find a way of being that brings you peace during this uncertain time.


Let go of heaviness. See that which is light. Gravitate toward joy. Your soul and body will lead you, if only you will listen. Walk lightly. Speak and laugh lightly, as much as possible. Go lightly along your way.
        ~ Melody Beattie 

 


Comments

Réal said…
Nice variety of birds in your backyard, Allison!!!!
Allison said…
Hello Real! Happy to hear from you! How are you?
Réal said…
Thank you Allison for asking. Great shape here despite the confinement. We have modified our facility to cope with the new rules particularly in the dining hall where we go only to be served by one person, pick up our lunch, and then eat in our room. I like it. Otherwise, Nature is very active because of Springtime. Birds and flowers are here. Already one nestling of 4 completed with the Bluebird. I eat some asparagus every day from our garden. Life is beautiful!

I hope it goes well on your side.

The best for you Allison!
Allison said…
There is peace to be found in this slower world! Stay well!!

Popular Posts